Photonics Design Graduate Intern-Intel (2021-2022)
- Design and simulate active and passive silicon photonics components such as optical modulator, waveguide-based photodiode, polarization beam splitter/rotator, waveguide coupler, 90-deg hybrid, semiconductor optical amplifier, and tunable laser.
- Perform process, device, optical simulations.
- Tape out test chip for photonic integrated circuit (PIC) characterization.
- Define test plan and characterize high-speed performance of the PIC.
- Analyze the wafer-level-test data and die-level test data.
Graduate Student Researcher, University of California, Davis (2016-2022)
- Research projects:
- Development of new ultrafast and sensitive Silicon and Germanium-on-Silicon photodetectors, from PIN devices up to Single Photon Avalanche detectors.
- Currently, leading the development of the Single Photon Avalanche Photodetectors.
- Collaboration in the fabrication of a photonic integrated biosensor for molecular detection.
- Demonstration of new Silicon PDs with potential 20Gbps (NRZ) of operation and with 5x efficiency enhacement at 850nm wavelenght.
- Ge-on-Si PDs with 4x efficiency enhancement at 1330nm and 1550nm.
- Demonstration of improved Photon Detection Efficiency of silicon SPADs for LIDAR applications and PET imaging.
- Gain-Bandwidth improvemment of silicon photodiodes by localized light absoetion in the semiconductors
- Applications targeted:
- Optical interconnects in Data Centers, VR/AR systems, LiDAR, PET imaging and Quantum Communicaitons.
Teaching Assistant, University of California Davis (Fall 2017, 2018)
- Teaching assistant of the undergraduate senior course ‘Integrated Circuits Fabrication’.
- Coordinated +20 students to obtain hands-on experience in the fabrication of MOS transistor.
- As a TA, I oversee students through the complete fabrication processes required for MOSFET fabrication, from the silicon wafer to the complete fabrication and its electrical characterization.
- Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of California, Davis, 2022
- M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering, National Institute for Astrophysics, Optics and Electronics, Mexico, 2016
- B.S. in Technology, National University Autonomous of Mexico, 2012
- Photonic device and systems design
- FDTD, RCWA and FDE optical modeling: Lumerical, Comsol
- Electrical simulations: Silvaco, Comsol, Device(Lumerical)
- Compact model development with Cadence
- Photonic integrated circuit design with AIM Photonics PDK
- Photodetectors characterization
- Electrical characterization: bandwidth, responsivity and noise
- Optical characterization: absorption,reflection.
- Semiconductor fabrication experience *Use of UC Berkeley-Nanolab and UC Davis nanocenter using tools such as plasma etchants, lithography and growing of semiconductors.
- Statistical analysis
- Extensive use of Matlab and Python libraries, such as Numpy and Scipy, for efficient data analysis.
Y. Gao et al., "High Speed Surface Illuminated Si Photodiode Using Microstructured Holes for Absorption Enhancements at 900-1000 nm Wavelength," ACS Photonics, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 2053-2060, 2017.
H. Cansizoglu et al., "A New Paradigm in High-Speed and High-Efficiency Silicon Photodiodes for Communication-Part II: Device and VLSI Integration Challenges for Low-Dimensional Structures," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 382-391, 2018.
H. Cansizoglu et al., "Surface-illuminated photon-trapping high-speed Ge-on-Si photodiodes with improved efficiency up to 1700nm," Photonics Research, vol. 6, no. 7, p. 734, 2018.
S. Ghandiparsi et al., "High-Speed High-Efficiency Photon-Trapping Broadband Silicon PIN Photodiodes for Short-Reach Optical Interconnects in Data Centers," Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 37, no. 23, pp. 5748-5755, 2019.
G. Jun et al., "Rigorous coupled-wave analysis of absorption enhancement in vertically illuminated silicon photodiodes with photon-trapping hole arrays," (in English), Nanophotonics, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 1747-1756, 2019.
H. Cansizoglu et al., "Dramatically Enhanced Efficiency in Ultra-Fast Silicon MSM Photodiodes Via Light Trapping Structures," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 31, no. 20, pp. 1619-1622, 2019.
C. Bartolo-Perez et al., "Maximizing Absorption in Photon-Trapping Ultrafast Silicon Photodetectors," Advanced Photonics Research n/a, 2000190.
E. P. Devine et al., "Single Microhole per Pixel in CMOS Image Sensors With Enhanced Optical Sensitivity in Near-Infrared," IEEE Sensors Journal 21, 10556-10562 (2021).
Cesar Bartolo-Perez, Soroush Chandiparsi, Ahmed S. Mayet, Hilal Cansizoglu, Yang Gao, Wayesh Qarony, Ahasan AhAmed, Shih-Yuan Wang, Simon R. Cherry, M. Saif Islam, and Gerard Arino-Estrada, "Avalanche photodetectors with photon trapping structures for biomedical imaging applications," Opt. Express 29, 19024-19033 (2021)
Cesar Bartolo-Perez, Ahasan Ahamed, Ahmed S. Mayet, Amita Rawat, Lisa McPhillips, Soroush Ghandiparsi, Julien Bec, Gerard Arino-Estrada, Simon Cherry, Shih-Yuan Wang, Laura Marcu, and M. Saif Islam, "Engineering the gain and bandwidth in avalanche photodetectors," Opt. Express 30, 16873-16882 (2022)
- Richard and Joy Dorf Graduate Student Award - ECE UC Davis (2022)
- ECE-Graduate Leadership Award - UC Davis (2021)
- Keller Pathway Fellowship - School of Management, UC Davis (2020-2021)
- Outstanding Leadership and Community Engagement Award – EEC UC Davis (2020)
- Outstanding Leadership Award – EEC UC Davis (2019)
- Jena-Davis Alliance of Excellence in Biophotonics Fellowship - UC Davis (2019)
- Research Travel Award, EEC Department - UC Davis(2019)
- Research Travel Award, IEEE Photonics Society (2018)
- Graduate Student Fellowship, UC Mexus - CONACYT 2016-2021
- Thesis Award, CONCYTEP-Mexico 2015
Service and leadership
- President of the EEC Graduate Student Association (2020-2021)
- Treasurer of the EEC Graduate Student Association (2019-2020)
- Outreach Officer of the Optics Club at UC Davis
- Volunteer of the Solano Park Robotics Club